Friday, October 5, 2012

Birthday Blowout

I never expanded on the fact that I have 3 kids, My oldest, 6, is a boy, the middle, 3, a girl, the youngest, 1, also a girl. Having kids is an expense I am happy to have, despite all the frustrations and mess, I love my kids.

Love comes in many forms, support, caring, listening, playing....the list goes on.

My sons 6th Birthday is today (Happy Birthday Kid!), earlier in the school year he was invited to a Birthday Party at a local indoor playground. Every kid in the class was invited, normal for his age group. I let him go to the party despite not knowing the parents very well, in life you have to meet people and make friends, this is how you do it. Getting out of your comfort zone.

My son, of course after attending that party,wanted a large party and to invite the whole class,etc. Here is where I get to act my  age.

WHEN I WAS A KID....we had parties at each others house if we were lucky, or we had one friend over, had a special dinner and cake. Not Chuck E. Cheese, The YMCA etc. never mind we never had those where we grew up and we lack that where we currently reside, we do have a Y type facilty that is really expensive.

Beside the when I was a kid, I explained that it costs actual money, like $100, add that to cake, gifts, plates, decorations and party favors you're at more like $150-$200.  The husband and I did disagree on this, he wanted a party for him, I wanted to be reasonable and rational. The last year we didnt have a good party turn out or any RSVPs, I did not want to repeat another blunder, that said.

Love, does not come in the form of money. I listened to what my son wanted, I said NO. Instead he is going to a free event where his friends will be, a homemade cake, used gifts and $1 fast food hamburger dinner (His Fav.) is just as good.

It's special, it's affordable, it's memorable and I can afford it. I wouldn't buy him a $100 gift at 6 years of age, why would I spend that on a party? It's just too much.

I love my kids, I want them to learn when too much is too much and to live within there means, a lesson not often taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment